Friday, April 11, 2008

The Bishop's 21st Birthday?

There has been a slew of articles, letters to the editor and talk happening since Bishop Higi announced that Catholics should not support the Komen foundation, as it financially provides for Planned Parenthood. Not that this kind of talk is a new thing.. In the last couple years I have heard various people speak with some distain about our ordinary, Catholics no less! I have always found it almost repulsive when Catholics would speak badly about our Bishop. A couple months ago I was at a birthday party and someone mentioned how excited they were for August, when the Bishop would send in his letter for retirement. I nearly left the table and went home. It's one thing for non-Catholics to "dis" the guy.. that's just ignorance. But to hear a Catholic do it.. that's arrogance! Do they only beleive in the Apostolic Succession and the guidance of the Holy Spirit when they agree with every decision and love the man to death? I don't understand it.. and I feel for the Bishop. I know it breaks his heart.

Anyway, tonight is Mikey's 21st birthday! Whoo hoo!! I'm so excited! Anyone is welcome to join.. we will be at Bruno's at 8pm, then OBryan's and then.... (drumroll please..) ... the Neon Cactus (God, help us!). The Cactus is reeaaally not my style. As someone at Blue Jacket said last night, "I like to dance as a gentleman or lady.. not a dog." But, I think everyone has to go there once and it's Mikey's turn. We'll see how it goes. Everyone at work is telling us they will be looking in the paper on Sunday.. I don't think things are going to go THAT far!

(Hopefully..)

YoungLife is going well, but takes up so much time and effort. I'm nearly burnt out and glad for the time off soon! However, I am required to attend a camp with 8 of the CC kids in early June.. one week, 50 kids, cabins, no AC, bugs, no booze.. this is the closest thing to the survivor show I will ever get!

Well, I should go. I need to stretch and carbo-load before tonight.. :)

11 comments:

LauraSuz said...

Yay! An update so soon from your last one.

See you tonight!

Annie Hatke Schap said...

So this comment is actually to your last post... but I personally feel that the only disappointment of getting married was the robbing of my chances of becoming a cat lady. It was something that I was kind of looking forward to. But since you're allergic, (and since you're Caitie!,) maybe you should try something different and original? Like being a lobster lady, or a squirrel lady or something. There must be some kind of pet that doesn't make you sneeze. You can just get forty-four of THOSE and be ridiculously happy forever!! Seriously, who needs men when there are thousands of homeless squirrels out there?!?

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

I freaking HAAAATE squirrels!!! That is so funny that you made that suggestion! I'll let Michaela tell you a story about that..

But you're right! I need to look for a new "collection".. perhaps male models?

Anne said...

Man, why don't you ever plan a par-tay for me?!
You are The Ultimate Party Planner.

:o)
Thanks for such a great time last weekend!!!

Annie Hatke Schap said...

You hate squirrels?! Are you KIDDING???? What is wrong with you???? They are the absolute cutest animals in the world. With their cute little ears that are so tiny! And their fluffy, skittery tails! And their cute beady eyes and twitching noses!! Aaaw... I'm getting warm fuzzies just thinking about them. Aw.

Elisabeth said...

I agree with Annie about the squirrels--they are really cute... but I actually wanted to respond to what you said about the "Bish". I totally agree with you Caitie. I think he definitely takes a bum rap from people and it's not fair... I think we always need to respect him, even if we don't totally agree with certain minor things (like the standing thing). And I have to say that I was pretty proud that he was our Bishop today when I finally got around to reading my Catholic Moment and he said that he refuses to apologize to the Komen people! Rock on! In memory or this, I might have to post the picture that Cynthia and I took with him at the Cathedral on my blog... ;)
Hope you guys had fun at the Cactus... I just couldn't muster up the energy to dance the night away because I have to spend tomorrow studying!

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

Thanks Elisabeth! :) We are definitely on the same page! I think there's a lot to be said about humility and obedience when it comes to following the "Bish's" leadership. God bless him!!

But God, please do not bless squirrels! UGHGGHGH!! They are sooo gross! Have you ever seen a wet one? One time, I squirrel ran in front of my car when it was raining and I think it had rabies cuz it was like doing a dance all over the place and I was so disgusted, I was dry heaving all over the place! Mikey has another story, but she tells it better so I'll let her do that some other time.

Anne: I would love to plan a party for you!! How about.. a Matron of Honor Party! I'm not sure what the theme is.. Reggae? Haha

P.S. I'm going to pick up the plates today!!!!!!!!!!

Elisabeth said...

ooh, can you post pictures of the plates?
and I definitely want to hear the story about the dancing, rabid squirrel...!!!!!
how was the cactuuuuuus?

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

Laura is picking them up so she'll have to post.

See my next post.. that will tell you!!! Haha

Anonymous said...

I take a moment out of my blogging retirement to say that I appreciated your comments about the bishop. I am similarly irritated when I hear Vatican II criticized as harmful to the Church's tradition. In fact, when I was first converting I was actually amazed by the criticism, considering that it often came from the same people who complained about others being "cafeteria Catholics".

It is so difficult not to allow our hearts to be led by ideology in these matters. Lord knows I am often more ready to enter an argument than simply to have faith.

Caitie B said...

i agree with you 100% david! :) it's not about loving the guy (which i do), its about having faith. you said it best! :)